MEMORIZING MULTIPLICAITON FACTS CAN BE STRESSFUL
Memorizing multiplication facts is a key component in the third-grade math curriculum. Students who are able to quickly recall multiplication facts enjoy a plethora of advantages. Third grade classes often have speed races for multiplication facts, invite only parties for students who have passed a certain level of multiplication memorization and awards or recognition for students as they master their facts. Students who master their multiplication facts quickly, enjoy a confidence boost that often carries over to other areas of school.
These students are also better prepared for the more advanced math that is to come later. The students who struggle to memorize their multiplication facts don’t get these special invites and acknowledgements and often take a hit to their confidence. This can create a spiral effect that results in the student feeling like they aren’t good in math. Additionally, if they don’t have their multiplication facts mastered, they will struggle with more advanced math down the road. So, how do you teach struggling students to memorize multiplication facts?
The approach that is often tried first (and usually fails) is to give struggling students stacks of multiplication flashcards that can be boring and difficult to remember. For students who struggle with math or have learning disabilities such as dyslexia or dyscalculia, this difficulty in memorizing the times tables can be severe and can even feel impossible. Determined parents often hire expensive tutors or drill their struggling child with flashcards to the point of tears without little or no success.
Disclosure: This post was written by a member of the Trigger Sisters’ team – founders of Times Tales, Pet Math and the Kids Chore Chart.
How Do You Teach Struggling Students To Memorize Multiplication Facts? There Is An Easier Way!
Memorizing the times tables doesn’t need to be so stressful. It can actually be a simple and even enjoyable process with Times Tales. There might still be tears involved, but they will be your own tears of joy and relief instead of your child’s tears of frustration.
Times Tales is a story-based program that is proven to be extremely effective with all learners, and it is especially effective for kids with learning disabilities such as dyslexia and dyscalculia. The visual, simple stories provide students with a “memory peg” that allows quick and effortless recall of the upper multiplication facts. Times Tales provides a multisensory approach to memorizing the most difficult to memorize times tables: 3×6, 3×7, 3×8, 3×9, 4×6, 4×7, 4×8, 4×9, 6×6, 6×7, 6×8, 6×9, 7×7, 7×8 7×9, 8×8, 8×9 and 9×9.
Watch this video to take a peek inside this innovative multiplication program:
Times Tales Works!
Times Tales works for ALL learners. Parents who have children with learning disabilities frequently turn to Times Tales after many other methods have failed. These parents are often desperate for help, and they are overwhelmed with relief when they see Times Tales work for their child. Many of these parents have been eager to share their success stories. There are literally hundreds of overwhelmingly positive reviews about Times Tales. Below are five honest testimonials from parents of children with learning disabilities.
- Amazing! I’ve been looking for something like this for YEARS! This is a perfect fit for my son who LOVES stories, but has no connection with numbers. We have tried so many ways to help him learn his facts. THIS WORKS! Highly recommend it.
- Worked fabulous for my dyslexic daughter! My 8 year old dyslexic child was really struggling with her math facts. Using this DVD she knew them pretty well within 2 weeks. I’d leave them in the car and would hear her in the back seat shouting out the answers. They helped my 10 year old as she ended up watching them with her sister and got much quicker. Love this DVD!
- She nailed her part 1 test! My daughter is in 4th grade and is dyslexic. She hates math. She is struggling with times tables. She just finished part 1 and was begging to do the worksheets to see how she did. She nailed them! I can’t tell you what this did for her confidence. Thank you for this amazing gift of self esteem and success!
- Times Tales helped me too! My daughter has ADHD and mundane tasks such as memorizing multiplication facts pose major challenges for her. With the innovative style Times Tales uses in telling a story for each multiplication problem, she has been able to recall the answers to all the problems from the first part in only a few days! It has helped me as well as I never took the time as a child to memorize every part of the multiplication table. Now the stories are just popping into my head and the answers are readily apparent. It’s spooky good!
- I was AMAZED! So, I’m a middle school teacher and I have a 9 year old son on the spectrum – level 1 autism. His brain thinks differently than most, as I’m sure you know. I did research over Christmas break and decided to finally buy your materials. I got the Times Tales workbook and dvd for x3’x, 4’s, 6’s, 7’s, 8’s, 9’s. We had a snow day yesterday, so I finally had the energy to start… just yesterday we watched Part 1 of the dvd. Then over the course of the day I had him retell me the stories with the answers. You nailed it! This is how his brain works. By the evening when I gave him the worksheet, he said “Mom, please, this is easy” and he did the quiz on his own (retelling the stories) and getting the correct answer. I was AMAZED! I emailed his teacher and resource teacher, and they had him show how he knew the answers in the class today. They couldn’t believe it.
Find The Right Times Tales For You
Times Tales works and is available as a Video (DVD or Streaming with printable reinforcements) or a Workbook (with an online Game Show Quiz). For most children, just one of these individual programs is enough to have all the upper multiplication facts memorized in as little as two weeks. However, some students need additional reinforcements which is why Times Tales offers bundles. There are two Times Tales bundles that are the ideal answer to how to teach struggling students to memorize multiplication facts. These bundles are a great choice for students with learning disabilities such as dyslexia or dyscalculia or any student who struggles with math and needs a little extra reinforcement.
Times Tales Deluxe Bundle
The Times Tales Deluxe bundle is designed for the student who needs more reinforcement. This bundle includes the Times Tales Video (in either DVD or Streaming format with printable reinforcements), the Times Tales Workbook and a Times Tales Mini Storybook for quick and easy review of the Times Tales Stories. Times Tales Deluxe is a great choice for students who may need some extra review and reinforcement to ensure the times tables are memorized.
Multiplication Mastery Bundle
The Multiplication Mastery bundle is another great option for children with learning disabilities or who need more reinforcements to master the times tables. This right-brain, visual math bundle includes everything in the Times Tales Deluxe bundle plus additional reinforcements that provide the student with the opportunity to apply their new multiplication skills in real life situations. These extra reinforcements are as follows:
- Drive Thru Menu Math – Real life application of multiplication and division using colorful drive thru menus.
- Pet Math – A fun math workbook that includes real life math scenarios involving owning a pet. Includes fictional pet brochures that are used to research and calculate the costs of various pet related activities such as buying pet food, grooming and veterinarian bills.
- Memory Triggers – Simple stories and pictures come together to provide a memory trigger for 16 commonly used and easily forgotten math terms.
- Multiplication Mastery Chart – A printable PDF that simplifies multiplication into 3 easy steps.
The Multiplication Mastery bundle is designed to ensure multiplication mastery for ALL learners.
Times Tales offers a 30 Day No Risk Money Back Guarantee. The program was designed by two thoughtful homeschooling moms who understand what other moms and teachers want in a multiplication program – a fast, easy and fun method that is effective for ALL learners. That is their guarantee to you.
Have you tried Times Tales? Let us know how it worked for your child in the comments.
Disclosure: Teaching With A Twist is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.